I know when the holidays come around lots of folks take off from work to spend time with family and get ready for the holidays. I am one of the few who doesn’t take much time off during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, because I can get more work done while everyone else is off. I am so serious. Although I am not taking any extra days, I do like to have a book or two to read and keep my mind busy and not dwelling on things that can make me sad or upset me for that matter.
As you all know I have a book club, at least for a little while longer, and although we have a book list for the entire year, I love to read books by authors not on our list just because I love reading so much. When I am not reading books on our list I like to read anything I take a fancy to as well as the numerous review books we are sent. Here are a few books you may want to check out if you are taking a break from work during the holidays:
- The Book of Harlan by Bernice McFadden – go to my book club’s website under Book Reviews Archives and see our review of this novel. Amazing… She was just nominated for a NAACP Image Award for the novel.
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi – I just posted this on the website today. Loves this book!
- Killing Johnny Fry by Walter Mosley – You know I love Mosley’s Easy Rawlings and Leonid McGill mysteries, but his other novels are gems folks need to read.
- The Perfect Find by Tia Williams – is a great love story for us women who are over 30 years old.
- I Almost Forgot About You by Terry McMillan – is a typical McMillan story as Terry ages so do her stories and she always has relatable characters.
Let me know if you have read or plan to read any of these suggestions.