I get a bit nostalgic during the holidays some of it brought on by my seasonal sadness others just because I miss things or someone. I have been contemplating things I am missing right now and wish were here still or could happen soon. Here is a list of what I miss:
- I miss my mother during Christmas because she always went all out for the holiday. She always baked her homemade cookies. I miss those cookies. I miss pre-opening my gifts. (Stop judging!) I just miss her presence and I wonder often how life would have been different if she hadn’t died. Would I be traveling to Florida to visit or Alabama for that matter?
- I miss my aunt. The house still has some of her presence there, but I miss our long talks. I miss the companionship we had forged. We could be in two different rooms and our bond would be still be strong. I know she isn’t suffering any longer, but I miss her. Lord, what I would do for a piece of her fried chicken.
- I miss our neighborhood with all the different families, because now most have passed on leaving their homes empty.
- I miss having a boyfriend. I miss looking for the perfect gift. I miss the amazing conversations about family during the holidays. I miss all a relationship encompasses.
- I miss getting amazing outfits. I used to get great outfits, except that cow coat I have never worn. If you ain’t old or a child, no gifts for you! LOL!
- I miss the surprises on Christmas. Like the time my aunt’s nephew surprised us for Christmas and said he wasn’t going back to Cleveland. Or when my cousin and his wife announced they were expecting Carson.
- Finally, I miss the feeling of Christmas. I feel like the month of December goes so quickly I do not get the opportunity to just be in the moment and really experience all that Christmas means. I want to feel Christmas and these days I am going through the motions. This year was better than the previous two, but I miss the excitement and exhilaration I used to feel for the day. Plus, Christmas is supposed to be 77 degrees, I just don’t know if Hell is right here on Earth or not. It has reached high 40s this week, really!
What do you miss around this time of year?